Is your baby kicking off blankets while sleeping? What are the underlying reasons for the baby’s such behavior? And what can parents do to solve this problem? If you are facing these questions, this article will help you.
Impacts of kicking off blankets
Kicking the quilt seems to be an inconspicuous act. But once your babies regularly kicking off their blankets, it might bring some bad effects to the babies.
1. They might get cold while sleeping.
Once your babies kicked off the blankets at night, they might be exposed to a colder temperature for a long time. Due to the sharp changes in the temperature, they become more likely to catch a cold.
2. It may affect their sleep quality.
If your kids are always kicking their blankets while sleeping, it’s also a sign that they have a night of broken sleep. Over time, their sleep quality will be affected, which might influence their healthy growth as well.
What may cause your baby to kick off blankets?
The reasons why your kids kicking off blankets are various. The following are some major ones.
1. The blanket is too thick.
Blankets are great for retaining the warmth for babies. Many parents tend to cover their kids with thick blankets for the sake of preventing babies from getting cold at night.
However, toddlers with fast metabolism are less tolerable to heat than adults. If the cover is too thick, there is a huge chance for them to kick off the blankets. At the same time, babies tend to feel more tired without having a good rest at night.
2. They need more movement.
When babies feel uncomfortable with their sleep position, they may move their bodies and kick something to seek a nice position. If your baby’s muscles are developing, you’ll certainly need to allow for more flexibility in the legs and arms. Apparently, the blankets restrict their movement.
3. The sleeping environment is not comfortable.
Toddlers are more sensitive to noise or light. If the external environment is noisy or too bright, they will sleep unsteadily, which may cause them to keep turning over and kicking the quilt.
4. There is something wrong with their health.
Babies with anemia might be easier to be irritable and kick the blankets if they feel uncomfortable when sleeping. Thus, if there is such a situation, it’s necessary to consult the doctor.
6 tips for preventing your baby from kicking off blankets
To prevent your baby from kicking off blankets, here are 6 tips for you:
- Avoid heavy and thick blankets at night. A lightweight one or without a blanket might be a wise choice.
- Choose a suitable wearable blanket for toddlers. It can maintain the temperature without restricting their movement.
- Don’t make them too excited before bed. Otherwise, when they fall asleep, some areas of the brain are still in a state of excitement and sleep disturbances such as kicking and sleep talking are prone to occur.
- Turn off the light.
- Keep the coverage clean.
- Add more moisture to the baby’s room. If the environment is too dry, the kid will also sweat easily and kick the coverage while sleeping.
The above are some tips for parents to prevent the baby from kicking off the blankets. For parents, taking good care of their children is not easy. Every little thing needs to be taken into concern. But have some patience. They will grow up sooner or later.
If you or your babies have trouble sleeping, try ShutEye, an all-in-one sleep app. ShutEye provides a wide variety of tools such as relaxing sounds and bedtime stories to help you fall asleep and improve your sleep quality.
So try this app to help your baby get rid of this habit!
You may also like: